Whether you’re vegetarian, flexitarian, or just looking for a meal idea for Meatless Monday, this Beechwood black bean burger recipe will hit the spot. Melted slices of Beechwood, our smoked mature Cheddar, are complemented by earthy black beans and smoked paprika in a delicious veggie burger that’s a hit with kids, too.
- Drain the tinned beans and place on a baking sheet. Bake at 160C for 10-15 minutes, allowing the beans to dry out.
- Saute the pepper and onion in olive oil until soft and slightly browned.
- Place the beans, sauteed vegetables, breadcrumbs or hazelnuts, smoked paprika, Worcester sauce, egg yolks, salt and pepper in a food processor and blend together gently making sure the beans are still chunky. Alternatively, this can be done with a fork, but the texture will be rougher.
- Divide mixture into 4 portions and shape into burgers.
- Place the burgers on lightly oiled foil and grill for 6-8 minutes each side making sure they are cooked through. Add the cheese on top and allow to melt.
- Split the ciabatta rolls in half horizontally and spread the barbecue sauce over the bottom half. Place the burger in the roll and top with salad leaves and kimchi or pickled cucumber slices.
- Serve immediately.